Saturday, October 17, 2009

Why do I create? Blogtober day 17

I have just finished reading The Crafter's Companion, edited by Anna Torborg. Seventeen crafters have contributed a project to this book, and they have all been asked the question: Why do you create?
It's not a something I have really questioned in myself much before, creating is simply part of who I am. But the book got me thinking more deeply about the reasons I like making stuff.

I think mostly it is some innate part of my being, this need to be creative and productive. And I like to have something tangible to show for my efforts. I really really love having an idea in my head and then seeing it come to life in 3 dimensions. As you know, I don't have a great deal of spare time on my hands, so when I sit down to make something, I like it to happen quickly and easily. I don't have enough time to make up templates and samples, try them out, unpick them, adjust them, resew, scrap that idea and start again. So what I do is think through an idea in my head until I'm pretty sure it's ok. I start with a little seed of an idea, toss it round in my head, think it through, actually 'create' it in my mind and watch each step coming together to kind of see if it will work before I actually invest any time in it, write it down, or take to fabric with scissors. Of course, my ideas don't always work, but this process seems to work for me most of the time.

Another thing I love about creating is that it is all about me. Those of you out there with young children will understand what I mean. I gave up my career (gladly!) to stay at home and raise my children, a decision I have never regretted. But I have discovered that when I spend 23 hours a day being on call and caring for three little ones, it is really terribly important for me to be able to put aside the other hour of the day just for me. To do something just for me. Me time. And I love it.

I'm still experimenting with mediums. At the moment, it's all about fabric, but in the past I have dabbled in papercraft, cake decorating, knitting, scrapbooking, decoupage and painting to name a few. But I am loving fabric and all it's possibilities, and I'm learning so much!

Someone in the book mentioned that Craft Blogs are actually taking us back to a time when women used to get together and sew, knit, crochet etc in a group - it's connecting us so we can share our work, inspire and support each other and learn new skills from one another, and continue the wonderful tradition of women being creative together - even if it is in a virtual world!

Aah, I love it when the www is used for good instead of evil.

3 comments:

  1. That is such a beautifully written post. I really relate to your points about needing time to produce, time to do something just for yourself and building networks with other crafty women via the www.
    I am learning all the time too... it is such an important journey for me. Glad to be travelling the path with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic post Gypsy. You missed the bit though about creating because you are very good at it!

    I have to say that when I was pregnant with my eldest, my obstectrician said I should take up knitting or sewing and find other women who did the same ... that I would need it. At the time I was indignant - how old fashioned, I thought!

    It took me three years of being a bit lost in the sea of nappies and broken nights before I finally took that first sewing lesson and started craft blogging.

    Now I only wished I had taken my wonderful obstectrician's advice earlier. Think of all the fabric sales I missed in that time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post - I find that the "creating in your head" happens a lot when you're breastfeeding babies in the middle of the night. That's how I came to find myself quilting and blogging!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself here! Hope you enjoy the blog :)