Wednesday, July 7, 2010

80s Movie of The Week - The Breakfast Club

Week 2


The Bloke bought us a couple of trendy drinks to bring us right back to 1985, so we could sit back and enjoy:

Her Choice: The Breakfast Club, 1985

What's it all about: Five high school students, all different stereotypes, meet in detention, where they pour their hearts out to each other, and discover how they have a lot more in common than they thought.

Who's in it: Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheady
The Upshot: The cast is a who's who of the 80s, and The Breakfast Club is one of the quintessential films of the decade. I found the film a lot more believable when I watch it as a teenager, and I remember clearly being shocked at bad boy John Bender getting together with prim and proper Claire at the end of the film. This time round I can't believe how naive I was back then not to see something so predictable happening!
Also notable for fans of The Simpsons and Futurama, this movie contains the line "Eat my shorts!" delivered by bad boy John Bender. Coincidence? Nope. Matt Groening has admitted in an official US Playstation Magazine that he named the robot 'Bender' in Futurama after The Breakfast Club character John Bender, and the movie is almost certainly where he got Bart Simpson's "Eat my shorts" catchphrase from.

I loved the film, but not as much as the first time around.


His Rating: 9/10 Violet Crumbles

Her Rating: 7/10 West Coast Coolers




Have you seen it? Did you love it?

8 comments:

  1. Haven't seen it since probably 1986 but might just have to dig it out. Fingers crossed it won't end up leaving me like Pretty in Pink did - nostalgic AND disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I occasionally catch this movie on cable and it's not as good now, though it was not a favorite John Hughes film for me at the time. I just remember marveling at the thought that a high school student could be that sophisticated enough to eat sushi for lunch back then =-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my number one film of all time. I've probably seen it about 200 times and I can sit in front of it and recite the dialogue the whole way through!
    Ahhhh memories.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this movie and have watched it quite a few times … daughter Miss W even bought it for her mummy because she knows I love it.

    It’s a coming of age movie, the sort of thing the 80s did so well and with such a great cast. I loved Molly Ringwald … she played herself so well in quite a few movies. She was my favourite actress for a long time.

    But the movie seems so dated now, and the characters so clichéd and predictable … the prissy cheerleader and bad boy have to get together, although the bit I love best in the movie is where they talk about being friends after detention. That’s a nice piece of realism.

    I think I agree with you re rating … I’d give it a 7/10 too.

    PS Go Curlypops. You remind me of someone I know who can do the same with the Princess Bride. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Takes me right back to my teenage angst years!!
    I absolutely loved this film .... maybe not as much as "St Elmos Fire" though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this movie, sure I saw it when I was older but it's a classic...also gotta love Sixteen Candles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been a long time since I have seen it... but I remember loving it at the time. I loved anything with Molly... "Pretty in Pink" was my favourite though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has to be one of my all time favourite movies ever. Like you though, I do remember it being better when I first watched it, but I would still rank it high. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself here! Hope you enjoy the blog :)