Sunday, January 24, 2010

Choose Your Own Adventure Cooking

I discovered late this evening that there were 6 very overripe peaches and nectarines in my fruit bowl that I did not want to waste, so I decided that dessert was in order. I did think of searching online for an appropriate recipe, but then thought it's been a while since I've done some Choose Your Own Adventure Cooking! I love Choose Your Own Adventure Cooking: I start out with an ingredient (overripe stonefruit in this case) and a vague idea (dessert) and just start chopping and throwing things into pots. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a great lesson in what not to do. Tonight, it seems, it worked! The result: Fruit Tartlets.



Method (snicker, if you can call it that)

Roughly chop stone fruit and throw into pot.
Add sparkling white wine (because that's what is open in the fridge) and a small quantity of raw sugar.
Simmer.
Forage in kitchen for other suitable ingredients.
Add small handful of blueberries and sultanas, a pinch of cinnamon and a drop of vanilla extract.

Muse over what on earth could be done next with quantity of stewed fruit.
Following suggestion by The Bloke Who Lives At My Place, search for pastry.
Discover shortcrust pastry in freezer. Excellent. Line tartlet tine with pastry.
Fill pastry rounds with stewed fruit.
Rummage in pantry for suitable toppings as not enough shortcrust pastry to cut rounds for lids.
Top with a mixture of hazlenut meal and brown sugar. Inspired!

Bake at 200degrees C for about 10 minutes.
Serve warm with ice cream. Mmm delicious.

All's well that ends well, thanks for sharing my cooking adventures! Do you like to cook 'on the fly'? Make it up as you go along? What daring adventures have you had in the kitchen lately?

5 comments:

  1. Yum! I should have come over to your place for dessert tonight.

    And the word verification: SCOPHIN.... I would have definitely been scoffin' those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look like the perfect breakfast! i love the idea of choose-your-own-adventure baking. the last time i did that i think i was 9, i should try again. i love your butterfly post too, i believe if we keep our hands and hearts open beautiful things will come to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your choose your own adventure baking is truly inspired ... now to scout around for overripe stone fruit. this sounds so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love YOUR adventure cooking! When i do it whilst i have a lovely time it does not become edible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh they look so delicious!! I'm the only one here who likes little tastey treats & sweet pies. I also gobble down all our stone fruit so no left overs!! That said, i am making banana bread, yummy. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself here! Hope you enjoy the blog :)