Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Great Pencil Roll Experiment...


Here is a little pencil roll I whipped up on Sunday evening. I used this excellent tutorial from Kirsty over at Kootoyoo (which is actually for an embroidered carry all!) but the instructions lend themselves to a pencil roll just as well, the instructions are very easy to follow and the pencil roll came together in about half an hour. Thanks Kirsty!

Please take no notice of the fact that I only stitched enough pockets to hold eleven pencils. Clearly I need a tutorial which reminds me to count the number of pencils in my child's pack before marking and stitching all the rows.
  

Here it is rolled up.
Next time I would use ribbon to tie around the roll instead of elastic, I think it would be prettier.

Since I am pretty much a complete novice when it comes to sewing, this was actually a practice run for a knitting needle roll which I want to make for my mum, so I will keep you updated with the progress of that, but I'm feeling more confident after the pencil roll experiment!

**Apologies to Kirsty for completely disregarding the 'embroidery' section of her tutorial - despite the wonderful instructions I'm just not that confident yet!

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful! I've made many pencil rolls in exactly the same way (& sans embroidery). Hooray for you. Looking forward to seeing the knitting needle roll complete.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself here! Hope you enjoy the blog :)