Wednesday, June 30, 2010

80s Movie Of The Week - Bladerunner

The Bloke Who Lives At My Place has established a new Date Night ritual at our place. Each week we will be reliving and reviewing the awesome 1980s through the medium of Interpretive Dance. No, not really! Instead, we are taking turns choosing an 80s DVD to watch each week, and will be trying hard to outdo and impress each other with our choices.

I have compiled an impressive list of 80s movies I would like to watch, and The Bloke has done the same, so each week I will be bringing you a review of our 80s Movie Of The Week.

I should probably point out that my reviews will contain plot spoilers. Just in case it's an 80s flick you haven't managed to see sometime over the last 30 years, and think you might like to, you have been warned!

Popcorn and some 80s snacks to set the mood:



Week 1

His Choice: Bladerunner 1982

What's it all about: Deckard, a blade runner, has to track down and terminate 4 replicants who hijacked a ship in space and have returned to earth seeking their maker.

Who's in it: Harrison Ford, Darryl Hannah, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young.

The Upshot: I was seriously impressed by The Bloke's choice for opening night. I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan, but I loved Bladerunner in the 80s, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it again. It's a Sci-Fi action flick but it's also a beautiful love story, and of course it stars a young and dangerously good looking Harrison Ford.
Although Blade Runner was originally released in 1982, we actually watch the Director's Cut (1990). The directors cut omits Deckard's voiceover, which didn't bother me at all, but also cuts my favourite scene of the movie: the final scene where Deckard and Rachel fly off into the sunset toward an uncertain future but together and in love. I did not like the movie ending at the preceding scene with Deckard and Rachel getting into the elevator, and implication that Gaff would be after them, denying them a happy ending. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a happy ending!


His Rating: 8/10 Violet Crumbles
Her Rating: 7/10 West Coast Coolers




Have you seen it? What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. i have seen this amazing film and BOTH versions too! my dear BF is into Sci Fi and has the Director's Cut...i guess i didn't notice the end of that cut since i'm so familiar with the original i just figured they still went off into the sunset!

    One thing i find interesting about the film is the underlying theme of "Life & Death"; after all the final line of Gaff is:

    It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?

    which always had me thinking he wasn't going out after them and a happy ending is had for all! =-)

    can't wait to see what other movies will be viewed and reviewed - "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", perhaps? it was filmed at my high school while i was still attending it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've seen this one since the 80's and I don't even remember what it's about.
    Next week you'll have to search for a Mint Pattie and a Golden Rough to go with a chick flick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I don't remember much about Bladerunner but I know I thought it was good. We watched Roadhouse on the weekend. It is worth it just for the 80's hair and fashion! A very young Patrick Swayze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Blade Runner. One of my all time favourite films. I love it so much I even read the book "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" too book is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself here! Hope you enjoy the blog :)